Re: ISSUE-120: Ambiguous Situation with nested @rel where inner @rel is neither CURIE nor link type

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 07:32:03 -0500
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
CC: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org

Ivan Herman wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> to be ruthlessly precise, the situation is not ambiguous; as you say,
> the spec leads to
>
> <> dc:creator <ben.jpg>.
>
> (this is also what my implementation does:-)
I disagree.  I think the spec is ambiguous.  If we WANT the spec to lead
to that, then I think it would be relatively easy to say something like
"If there are no value values for a given attribute, the processor
should act as if the attribute was not specified at all."  However, I do
not believe that was Mark's intent.  His intent was to be able to STOP
the cascade by putting in a rel="".  If we add a restriction like the
one above, then such a thing would not work.  We could, of course, add a
further qualification when an empty attribute value is encountered.  We
already do that for @about, so we could extend it.

I agree with you that making any changes at this late date is a really
bad idea.  But I think that the current spec is accidentally ambiguous.