non-normative paragraph for the HTML fragment issue, ISSUE-113

From: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 21:37:58 -0700
To: RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Hi all,

I was tasked with writing a non-normative paragraph to mention the HTML
fragment issue. Here is my attempt at this.

===========
Given RDFa's DOM-based processing model, XHTML authors can mark up XHTML
fragments to obtain specific desired results. For example:

(1) Creative Commons publishes XHTML fragments for users to copy and
paste into their own XHTML pages. The fragment uses about="" to
automatically annotate the user's page, not knowing its URL ahead of time.

(2) Yahoo's SearchMonkey uses "RDFa inside dataRSS", which is RDFa in an
XHTML fragment.

However, XHTML1.1+RDFa is not specified for XHTML fragments: fragments
yield triples only once they are placed within complete documents.
Consequently, authors should craft these fragments carefully and
consider the various ways in which a given fragment can be framed.

-Ben