Re: Rethinking @src in the context of chaining rules

Mark Birbeck wrote:
> Hi Ben,

[snip]
> I've stopped working on the syntax document for now, because no-one
> seems to know precisely what it is that they want here.

Don't use such argument. Please... :-)

>>> That's not true. The use-cases that I've outlined a few times now
>>> relate to consistency when moving items around, so that things that
>>> work in one context have the same behaviour in another. I don't
>>> believe that there are "high costs" to this, or that I am risking the
>>> simplicity of the spec -- quite the contrary.
>> There's no *need* to make things consistent with infinite moving around
>> of attributes if there's no good use case to justify it. So far, the
>> task force seems to think it makes things more difficult to describe and
>> implement, and "shuffling attributes around" is not a use case.
>
> Those who have expressed an opinion on this don't seem to be getting
> to the heart of the issue, as far as I can see.

Thank you.

[snip]
> And further, what if the @resource values were actually @href's;
> changing them to @about's would then not be possible:

Mark, I *do* see your 'consistency' point (I may not *agree* with its
absolute necessity here, but that is another issue). But this example
shows the problem I have and that I was also referring to in

http://www.w3.org/mid/477CC9FF.6010109@w3.org

(Which, as an aside, *was* an answer to your example...).

The issue is: how can the user *avoid* the appearance of certain
triples? Your model means that any <a> element with an @href may, with a
high probability, generate triples and, at this moment, it is not really
clear to me (eg, in your example) how I would avoid that easily.

_If_ your argument was only for @resource, I might be more positive
about it (well, probably:-). However, because we want a symmetry between
@resource and @href in this respect, this issue pushes me back.

In the model defended by Ben (and me:-) if the element <a> does not have
any RDFa specific attribute, then the corresponding @href has no effect
on the generated triples. And this is the way I would prefer...