Re: my action on conformance

Hi Ben,

I have to admit though, that I hadn't really thought about it from the
direction you are coming from.

What I was trying to achieve was that if some parser decides to
generate 'local' triples that are for its own use, or a developer
wants to add 'experimental' triples whilst trying out new features, we
shouldn't necessarily say that this parser is non-conformant--provided
that it generates at least the minimum triples.

However, the issue you raise is slightly different, and I think we
should try to take it into account.

An example came up the other day, when I was showing a friend how the
RDFa parser worked, and I showed the mark-up to illustrate how easy it
was to refer to a book with @instanceof and @resource. His immediate
question was to ask how this mark-up related to the use of @cite, and
of course _my_ response was to say that it would be easy to add the
use of @cite to the RDFa parser.

But the I realised that were I to do that, it could become a problem
in the future if the taskforce issued an XHTML+RDFa 1.1 that included
@cite, and it was done in a way that was different to the additional
feature I had added to my parser.

So I think we should allow the 'extra triples'--I think we definitely
need that--but perhaps we should also indicate somewhere that
generating extra triples from XHTML itself might cause you problems in
the future, since XHTML+RDFa may define further rules.

Any thoughts on that?

--
  Mark Birbeck, formsPlayer

  mark.birbeck@formsPlayer.com | +44 (0) 20 7689 9232