Re: Fine-tuning CURIEs (reply #2 :-)

From: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:54:05 -0700
To: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org

Mark wrote:
> I haven't yet seen anything that convincingly says why we should
> change the parsing rules for CURIEs such that they are no longer a
> super-set of QNames, given that their whole purpose is to do what
> QNames has been co-opted to do, but do it 'properly'.

I think Ivan is right on this one: our thinking cannot depend on a
future CURIE spec. We need to make things work with existing XHTML 1.1.

So, with a CURIE-independent mindset, we can't have rel="openid.server"
or rel="DC.creator" generate spurious triples. If we attempt this, we'll
get killed at Last Call, just like we got killed for the spurious @class
triples.

I don't see any other solution than to say that "next" and "prev" are
special-cased, using e.g. a pre-processing step, and any other
non-namespaced values are ignored.

If that changes in XHTML2, that's fine, of course. Consistency is not
always possible when we have to be mostly backwards compatible with the
existing web. But XHTML1.1+RDFa can't force authors to change their
XHTML 1.1 too much.