Re: Fine-tuning CURIEs (reply #2 :-)

Mark,

I thought about this again but, I must admit, I did not change my
opinion, even reading through the thread again...

I was actually a bit surprised to read, in Shane's reply[1] that

[[[
XHTML prohibits the introduction of other values that are not namespace
qualified into @rel / @rev (and @role).  That whole space is reserved.
The DTD does not enforce this because it is not possible to do so, but
conforming RDFa processors should  ignore any incorrect values IMHO.
]]]

Is this an XHTML1 or and XHTML2 feature? As far as XHTML1 is concerned,
I looked up in [2] and it says:

[[[
Authors may use the following recognized link types, listed here with
their conventional interpretations. A LinkTypes value refers to a
space-separated list of link types. White space characters are not
permitted within link types.
]]]

I am not sure how to interpret the word 'may' in this respect, but my
impression is that this means the author can have his/her own, or use
these predefined ones.

However... regardless of what the spec says, the reality out there is
that authos _do_ use @rel/@rev with values that are _not_ defined by
XHTML. The example of openid or DC are the obvious ones. What this also
means that the _second_ scheme you propose:-) would actually lead to new
and somewhat unexpected triples. (By the way, one of the
questions/comments asked by the DCMI guys in Singapore was exactly that:
they _hope_ that RDFa will not generate extra triples if they are
encoded using the dc.title trick...)

Regardless of how it is described in the CURIE document, my feeling is that:

- 1. We should obviously interpret 'a:b'
- 2. We should interpret 'b' as 'http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/b'
_provided_ that 'b' is one of the entries listed by the relevant XHTML
document (I fully agree with Shane on that one for the reasons above)
- 3. For ':b' we can either say that it behaves exactly like 'b' above,
or we introduce the usage of a default namespace. I am mildly in favour
_not_ to use the concept of default namespace at all. Yes, that would
invalidate your openid example, but I do not think that is so important
(and the DCMI use case is, as I said before, moot)

Ivan

[1] http://www.w3.org/mid/46E6BB62.9070204@aptest.com