Re: [RDFa TC] TC 29 and normalizing spaces of the children of an element used as a property value.

Hi Fabien,

I agree with you...at least I think I do, but I can't find any
suitable references!

I'm almost certain that leading and trailing white space in element
content in XML is discarded, unless you set @xml:space="preserve".
Now, that does raise an interesting question which we haven't
considered before, which is whether the parser should honour the
setting of @xml:space. But putting that aside, I also can't see why
there is a trailing space on test 29.

Perhaps Michael could help? Are you using a non-XML parser in your
tests, which might account for the fact that leading and trailing
spaces are not being dropped? Or am I wrong that they are supposed to
be dropped?

On 12/09/2007, Fabien Gandon <Fabien.Gandon@sophia.inria.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> TC29 is the only thing preventing me to release the new transform an
> parser and I think it is a pity.
>
> Can anyone explain me how the children nodes of the <span> in TC29
> should be processed to pass the test ; in particular the text nodes.
>
> I currently have two options:
>
>  1 - I normalize-space() the values and obtain the wrong result:
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example.org/foo">
> <dc:creator xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
> rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">Mark
> Birbeck</dc:creator>
> </rdf:Description>
>
>  2 - I don't normalise-space () the values and obtain the wrong result:
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example.org/foo">
> <dc:creator xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
> rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">Mark Birbeck
>            </dc:creator>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> I don't see the algorithm for generating the trailing white space of the
> current test (especially in XSLT1) and to me it is not clear how the
> process described in section 4.3 generates this trailing space.
>
> Moreover if I don't normalize-space() I no longer pass TC28 since in
> this test case the corresponding ASK does not have a trailing space even
> if the original RDFa does have spaces and break-rows in the <span> ...
>
> TC28:
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/testsuite/xhtml1-testcases/0028.sparql
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/testsuite/xhtml1-testcases/0028.xhtml
>
> TC29:
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/testsuite/xhtml1-testcases/0029.sparql
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/testsuite/xhtml1-testcases/0029.xhtml
>
> Failing a SPARQL query on a white space is pretty frustrating when one
> knows all the other things that could have gone wrong ;-)
>
> in one word: HELP !
>
> in two words: HELP PLEASE!
>
> Cheers,
>

> Fabien Gandon :
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am passing all the tests except TC29 see discussion bellow.
> > In addition I would like to suggest 3 new TCs:
> > http://www-sop.inria.fr/edelweiss/people/Fabien.Gandon/docs/w3c/rdfa/tests/2007/09/10/
> >
> > TC 46: multiple properties separated by white spaces
> > TC 47: multiple relations separated by white spaces
> > TC 48: a VEvent example using @instanceof
> >

> > Hausenblas, Michael a écrit :
> >> TC11: Hm. Not sure how I could help here, but let me know
> >> if I can do anything ...
> >>
> > We found the problem: instead of using a datatype I must use the old
> > RDF syntax rdf:parseType="Literal"
> >
> >> TC29: The additional space is there on purpose; cf. also the review
> >> at [1]
> >>
> > When reading section 4.3 paragraph 2 :
> > "The [current object literal] will be set as a [typed literal] if the
> > datatype attribute is present, and does not have an empty value. The
> [...]

  Mark Birbeck, formsPlayer

  mark.birbeck@formsPlayer.com | +44 (0) 20 7689 9232

  standards. innovation.