Re: chaining-friendly rules for @instanceof

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:28:01 -0500
To: RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Ivan Herman wrote:
> thanks a lot. That helps, but I am still a bit puzzled (bear with me,
> jet-lag in Korea is hard!)

I'm sure you're puzzled because I wrote something that is truly puzzling
:). I promise that I'm not trying to do it on purpose! Conveying these
ideas over a mailing list is quite error prone.

> Manu Sporny wrote:
>> Ivan Herman wrote:
>>> Bottomline: would it be possible for those of us who are newbies in the
>>> group to summarize what would be your proposal at this moment to solve
>>> the @instanceof deadlock? So that we could compare the two and make a
>>> decision?
> [snip]
>> These are roughly Mark (please correct me if I'm wrong, Mark) and my rules:
>>
>> 1. @about       [Set the Subject]
>> 2. @instanceof  [Set the Subject Type]
>> 3. @rel/@rev    [Set the Predicate]
>> 4. @property    [Set the Predicate]
>> 5. @resource    [Set the Object or Subject if there is none]
>
> I do not understand what you mean here. What is the reference to Subject
> here? I thought that Subject is either @about or inherited from parents'
> @about, so to say...

Yes, that is correct. I'm not attempting to make a change to the current
rules regarding @about. In other words - the rules that I'm proposing
shouldn't deviate from what the APPROVED test cases generate. Regardless
of if we use Ben's rules, or Mark/my rules, the APPROVED test cases
shouldn't be affected.

>> 6. @href        [Set the Object or Subject if there is none]
>> 7. @src         [Set the Object or Subject if there is none]
>> 8. @content     [Set the Object or Subject if there is none]
>
> Why would @content set the subject? It is a literal, isn't it?

Oops, you're correct. @content shouldn't set the subject. This is the
problem with authoring rules at 1am in the morning :). Again, keep in
mind that I'm not attempting to propose anything that would break the
currently approved test cases.

-- manu

--
Manu Sporny