Re: [RDFa] ISSUE-3 @class and @role for rdf:type

Hi Mark!

This is a late reply (I have caught up now ;)) mostly for closure.
Thank you for your comments; I believe your interpretation of my
thoughts were to the point. I'm glad to see agreement overall about
this issue. Using @class can still be done in a completely controlled
fashion if hGRDDL is pursued further (which I hope, it seems really
feasible).

It is interesting to reflect about these "chimeric" aspects of RDFa
you mention. It is the strength of the application, but as we see in
the ongoing debates, because of this nature, we have to be thorough,
formulate simple (enough) rules and seek out edge cases to avoid
complicating matters. (Which I think is the case, so I'm happy.)

I see two somewhat different uses for RDFa. One is the general "pieces
of data" case, where you expose e.g. personal, publication and similar
data within a more loosely typed web page setting. The other is the
"enhanced document" case, where the document and its component parts
are the primary subjects about which to add precision to "expose
relevance" to the Semantic Web "view of the world". (Both cases being
somewhere between "rich text" and "data record".)

The latter is what I and my colleagues have been (successfully so far)
using RDFa for, to structure legal documents for the intent of
creating a unified approach to swedish legal information (as
commissioned by Verva, the Swedish Administrative Development Agency).
This is a work which is now rounding up a prototyping and initial
trial period, and which I hope to make a more general write-up about
later this year. It has been the primary origin for my thoughts and
posts here.

I have used a metaphor in describing RDFa where you "use colored pens
to add precision to the content". It's great when each color is unique
to the point of being a URI. ;)

Best regards,
Niklas