RE: action on white-space preservation in attributes

I as well had an action on whitespace handling, namely regarding
what the spec says [1] - here is what I found:

Section 4.7 'White Space handling in attribute values'
of the XHTML spec [2] tells us:

When user agents process attributes, they do so according to
Section 3.3.3 of XML [3]:

 + Strip leading and trailing white space.

 + Map sequences of one or more white space characters
  (including line breaks) to a single inter-word space.

Further, Section 3.3.3 of XML [3] defines in detail the
'Attribute-Value Normalization', such as EOL handling,
mapping of (#x20, #xD, #xA, #x9) whitespace to a single
#x20, and CDATA/NMTOKENS declarations.

Given the above, and when I understand Ben right, my
conclusion would be that none of the browsers actually
behaves correctly.

Did I miss anything?

Cheers,
     Michael