Re: RDFa actions in web browsers (UI)

Mark Birbeck wrote:
> I found this discussion very interesting, since it's actually been the
> area I've been working on for a while now. I started penning a reply
> but it got too big, so I ended up creating a blog entry called
> 'Sidewinder and the need for a semantic web applications framework'
> [1].

Mark, great piece on the blog[1]. The idea that we could have a binding
language like CSS for semantic data is a good one and would be one way
of solving the current problem of cross-browser binding of semantic data
to UI elements.

You are also correct in that this discussion is out of scope for the
immediate priorities for RDFa. So, I don't want to burden the list with
too much more about it.

I'm concerned that Mike and Alex are running on an accelerated time-line
with regards to the RDFa timeline. According to the Firefox 3
timeline[2], M8 is going into code freeze some time in September. So, if
you have some input or direction for Mike or Alex... now is the time to
let them know. Mark - have you had a chat with Mike about Sidewinder? If
you haven't, it would probably be a worth-while discussion.

I don't know what the process is for doing this, but could the RDFa Task
Force record an issue stating that there should be an
"RDFa/Microformat/eRDF Best Practices for Browser Implementation"
document? Or at least note that there will be issues with binding
semantic data to UI elements in browsers and that it needs to be looked
into in more detail. Perhaps it can be modeled after whatever Firefox 3
or Sidewinder ends up doing?

-- manu

[1]http://internet-apps.blogspot.com/2007/08/sidewinder-and-need-for-semantic-web.html
[2]http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox3/Schedule