Getting IE to accept application/xhtml+xml

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:40:00 +0200
To: "XHTML WG" <public-xhtml2@w3.org>, RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

This morning, with Chris Lilley's help, I got it working. Here is the
trick (there may be other rules to add to this, but this is the minimum):

	1. The URL must end in .html
		if it doesn't, then add a spurious ?.html eg
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Drafts/?.html
	2. There must be a
	   in the head (with appropriate charset).

Then you can happily serve it as application/xhtml+xml and IE processes it.

It is OK to use an XML declaration, and an xml-stylesheet (though this may
trigger quirks mode; I still have to check that).

At the time of writing, the following link works
	http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Drafts/?.html
(since it gets automatically updated, it might stop working until we fix
the auto-generator).

Steven