CLASS and ROLE

From: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 21:50:22 -0400
To: RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
CC: wai-liaison@w3.org, Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org

Hi all,

Though we have discussed the CLASS and ROLE issue, we haven't quite
resolved the last consensus we came to. So, I want to phrase the
consensus as best as I understand it. We will vote to resolve this (or a
modified version if need be) at next week's telecon on 4/23, so please
send all comments ASAP.

Proposed Resolution:

In all RDFa-compliant HTML documents (e.g. XHTML1.1+RDFa), the CLASS
attribute is of type CURIEs, a space-separated list of values. Each
qualified CURIE value yields an rdf:type assertion on the subject
corresponding to the attribute's element, exactly as if the element had
a child LINK element. Unqualified CURIEs are ignored, e.g. class="foo".

e.g.

yields

<#foo> rdf:type foaf:Person .

Where the ROLE attribute is defined, e.g. XHTML2, its value is also
CURIEs, thought this time it yields an xh2:role assertion (with xh2 the
XHTML2 namespace). The subject resolution is identical to that of the
CLASS attribute. As there is no "backwards compatibility" issue with
this attribute, all values yield triples

e.g.

yields

_:div0 xh2:role wai:Menu .
_:div0 xh2:role :nav .