Re: metadata vs. "structured data"

From: Bob DuCharme <bob@snee.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:26:37 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Steven Pemberton" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Cc: bob@snee.com, "'RDFa'" <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

On Tue, October 24, 2006 9:32 am, Steven Pemberton wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:19:03 +0200, Bob DuCharme <bob@snee.com> wrote:
>> haven't  heard of any theater chains looking for ways to store XHTML so
>> that such data can be easily extracted, though.
>
> Oh yes! It is called RSS. Check for instance
> http://solitude.vkps.co.uk/Code/UgcRss/?CinID=71

We could go to the movie chains and tell them that we have a way for them
to improve on what they're doing, which might sound like a suggestion that
they fix something that isn't broken, and did they even ask us? The
magazine publishing industry has asked, and they have unsolved problems
that RDFa will address, which is why I think that their metadata needs are
the low-hanging fruit that can make it easier for RDfa to establish a
reputation. They've specifically expressed an interest, unlike the movie
theater industry, which has only demonstrated (through their use of
HTML+RSS) that they have something that we think that RDFa would improve
on.

Bob