Re: RDFa and GRDDL and Drupal

From: Ben Adida <ben@mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 16:07:07 -0400
Cc: public-rdf-in-xhtml task force <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>

On May 29, 2006, at 10:17 AM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Perhaps a GRDDL dialect that works without changes at the DTD level
> would be
> more straightforward for them to pick up...

But then they would lose the in-context property of RDFa, where HTML
is no longer a first-class serialization for metadata.

There is an opportunity here to adapt RDFa for the real world of
folks like Drupal. I think we need to seriously consider it, before
we give up on HTML again and go to straight RDF.

> [[
> For example, the following XHTML:
> embeds the triple:
> <> dc:creator "Ian Davis" .
> ]]
>  -- http://iandavis.com/blog/2005/10/introducing-embedded-rdf

This seems worse than using microformats, in this case, as there are
no tools that parse this.

>>>  How would I, for example, deal with tags or categories
>>> (vocabularies)? Would technorati still pick them up?
> reltag seems like a perfectly fine idiom. I haven't seen a
> transformation to RDF yet, though I imagine there's one implied by

Isn't reltag specific to Microformats? Doesn't that then mean that
one would have to have a different syntax for tagging, author
creation etc...? Seems overly complicated when RDFa can handle all of
these nicely.

Maybe SKOS recommends the right RDF vocabulary for this.