Re: talking again

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 13:51 +0200, Steven Pemberton wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 19:40:55 +0200, Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org> wrote:
>
> > Since then, a new Working Draft has been published by the HTML WG:
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/News/2005#item70
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xhtml2-20050527/
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xhtml2-20050527/mod-meta.html#s_metamodule
> > and
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xhtml2-20050527/mod-metaAttributes.html#s_metaAttributesmodule
> > deserve a careful review from this TF.
>
> Quite. I hope that the TF will give this one more attention than the last
> time we asked for feedback
> (http://www.w3.org/2005/04/05-swbp-minutes.html#item01).

Just to pick up on a comment of Mark's from those minutes:
[[
Mark: why would an author use anything other than id="A" and id="B" to
refer to anonymous nodes?... why should I [as a document author] be
worried about any outside use of those names? ... e.g. I use those names
locally, but why should I prevent them from use outside? ... I think
this is a concern more to RDF folk than to an HTML author.
]]

I think the core distinction we need to get across, is between a
worldwide, and
hopefully well known identifier for something (a URI), versus a
pragmatic, document-internal reference to something.

drafting notes:

"""XHTML2's RDF-based metadata syntax allows document authors to
describe
properties of many kinds of thing, including relationships to real world
objects that don't have widely known Web identifiers (URIs). Often a
document might mention something (eg. a person, place, ...) without the
author having a convenient URI that identifies it. This makes it
difficult for different parts of a document to describe the same thing,
without unnecessary repetition. XHTML2's metadata syntax provides a
mechanism that allows different pieces of metadata within one document
to clearly identify the things they're referring to, even without URIs:
the @@@ and @@@ attributes are used alongside the "rel" attribute to
link together pieces of meta information within an XHTML2 document. They
function very similarly to the "about" and "href" attributes, but use
identifiers which are strictly local to the document; this avoids any
confusion between temporary or ad-hoc identifiers and those which are
intended to be long-lasting, world wide identifiers (ie. URIs)."""

Bit wordy and repetitative for the spec, but I think something like that
needs saying... somewhere...

Dan