RE: Potential new TAG issue: Numeric LocalPart of QName held in attribute value

From: Misha Wolf <Misha.Wolf@reuters.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:02:49 +0100
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Cc: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org, iptc-metadata@yahoogroups.com
Very interesting.

From: Mark Birbeck [mailto:mark.birbeck@x-port.net]
Sent: 20 July 2005 13:23
To: Misha Wolf
Cc: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org; iptc-metadata@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: Potential new TAG issue: Numeric LocalPart of QName held in
attribute value

> Where do I find out more about the Wiki usage?

It actually originates from what they call 'InterWiki' links --
connecting a topic in one Wiki with a topic in another. The mechanism is
fairly consistent across Wiki engines, in that you can use a prefix to
abbreviate URIs. Not only does it save typing, but it also allows for
consistency across a site.

For example, on the XForms Wiki which runs on TWiki, if you put the
following into a page:

the engine will create a connection to:

Although each Wiki could define the 'Dictionary' prefix differently for
their preferred service, the advantage is that the author has a
consistent way to enter things. We find it a very useful feature for
things like referring to specifications. For example, a reference to
something in the XForms 1.0 spec might look like this:

with Xf10 being defined as:

(See http://www.xforms-wiki.com/bin/view/TWiki/InterWikis for other

I have to say that I've long been thinking of how you might integrate
this Wiki technique into XHTML at the level of the language. So although
we've come at it from another direction, it would be great if we had a
feature that both solves the IPTC requirement of shortened URIs for
metadata purposes, and allows for this common linking pattern.

Mark Birbeck
x-port.net Ltd.

e: Mark.Birbeck@x-port.net
t: +44 (0) 20 7689 9232