RE: Discussing Outsanding Issues - Issue #9

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:20:49 -0000
To: "'Ben Adida'" <ben@mit.edu>
Cc: "'public-rdf-in-xhtml task force'" <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Hi Ben,

> The question is whether the following XHTML should yield a clickable
> link:
>
> ========
> 	some interesting quotation
> 	written by <link rel="dc:creator"
> href="http://foobar.com">Bob</link>.
> ========
>
> In our telecon discussions, we wondered whether this was
> solely an issue for the XHTML WG to discuss. Certainly,
> Steven and Mark should be the ones to chime in on this one.
> That said, there are consequences to the expressive power of
> RDF/A. Specifically, without this feature, then we can't
> reduce data duplication on a clickable/ semantic link that
> pertains to a bnode (as above).

>From an XHTML point of view this is definitely clickable, for consistency;
since @href is allowed everywhere, and it always makes the element that it
is on into a navigable link, then we must allow it on <link> as on anything
else.

I think the bit that is new from your examples, is that without the presence
of text inside the <link>, the link was no easily available to the user, so
the issue of its 'navigability' didn't really get raised.

Anyway, my vote is for navigable.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Birbeck