Re: Alternative names for HTTP/Update specification

On 1/23/2011 3:25 PM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 21/01/11 17:28, Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:
>> I had an ACTION from an earlier teleconference to propose alternative
>> names for the HTTP/Update specification. Below are (numbered)
>> suggestions, starting with the 2 Dave Beckett suggested along with
>> others suggested during that teleconference:
>>
>> 1. SPARQL 1.1 RDF Graph Management Protocol
>> 2. SPARQL 1.1 RDF Dataset Management Protocol
>> 3. SPARQL 1.1 RESTful Graph Protocol
>> 4. SPARQL 1.1 HTTP Graph Protocol
>> 5. SPARQL 1.1 HTTP Graph Management Protocol
>> 6. SPARQL 1.1 RDF Dataset HTTP Protocol
>>
>> There was a suggestion of removing SPARQL 1.1 from the name, so
>> alternatives are:
>>

>> 7. RDF Graph Management Protocol
>> 8. RDF Dataset Management Protocol
>> 9. RESTful Graph Protocol
>> 10. HTTP Graph Protocol
>> 11. HTTP Graph Management Protocol
>> 12. RDF Dataset HTTP Protocol
>>
>> My personal preference is 12 and 6
>>
>> -- Chime
>>

> My preferences:
>
> 6 > 4 = 3 > 12 > 10 = 9
>
> The pattern is:
> "SPARQL 1.1"
> "RDF Dataset" before "RDF Graph" before "HTTP Graph"

I'm trying to wrap my head around the intuition for preferring "RDF
Dataset" because, to me, the spec in question deals with individual
graphs more than it deals with RDF Datasets (a default graph plus zero
or more named graphs). But From Andy and Chime's preferences, I'm
guessing I'm just not looking at it the right way, so can anyone help me
out?

thanks,
Lee