Re: SPARQL Update / editorial

From: Paul Gearon <gearon@ieee.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 22:37:52 -0500
To: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Cc: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Andy Seaborne
<andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com> wrote:
> Editorial: so it does not get lost:
>
> These are all the same operation, in different guises:
>
> 3.1.3 DELETE/INSERT
>
> [ WITH <uri> ]
> DELETE { modify_template [ modify_template ]* }
> INSERT { modify_template [ modify_template ]* }
> [ USING [NAMED] <uri> ]*
> [ WHERE ] GroupGraphPattern
>
> The word WHERE is optional, GroupGraphPattern is not.
>

> 3.1.5 INSERT
> [ WITH <uri> ]
> INSERT { modify_template [ modify_template ]* }
> [ [ USING [NAMED] <uri> ]*
>  WHERE GroupGraphPattern ]
>
> The whole WHERE+pattern part is optional.
>

> 3.1.4 DELETE
>
> [ WITH <uri> ]
> DELETE { modify_template> [ modify_template ]* }
> [ USING [NAMED] <uri> ]*
> WHERE GroupGraphPattern
>
> WHERE+pattern is mandatory.

I see the

> The notation is unclear : [] is optional, (so what's []*?)

I probably did that. I'm guessing I copied it from somewhere. Would
you rather see ()* ?

(I've changed to using parentheses for now, but can change it back if
someone objects)

> { modify_template [ modify_template ]* } should probaly be just
> [modify_template]* because when generated by programs, it's easier to allow
> the null pattern.

I'm OK with that. I was about to change it to a "+" when I saw this.

I notice you suggested the use of []*. I presume wou were just
sticking to what's in the document already? Though in the case of
modify_template there's no need to group anything before the *
character, so the brackets/parentheses could be dropped entirely.

Paul