Re: sparql11-results-csv-tsv

On 14/06/11 12:04, Steve Harris wrote:
> Quick mini-review:
>
> Abstract
>
> 4store answers ASK in TSV as "true", but it should probably be
> "ask\ntrue" or similar.

Yes, it would have to be if it's TSV compatible, the header line is
needed - whether an first empty record is (in practical terms) is safe,
I don't know.

> 3.1
>
> What's the purpose of allowing the header line to be absent? Does any
> system do this now? It makes it tricky for consumers, and I prefer to
> MUST the header for SPARQL results.

Because the CVS does not require it - TSV does.  It agree it's better to
include it but I think SHOULD is as strong as we can get, given that the
CSV spec itself does not mandate it.

It does make some sense to omit if its being read into a spreadsheet as
a table of numbers.  The point of CVS is consumption of information
without RDF parsing.

> teh ->  the

Done

> Why no ? preceeding the header out of interest? I guess it goes with
> the STR(?val) in the data rows?

Yes - CSV when read directly into a spreadsheet, the spreadsheet may
well print the column names.  This is a good use of CSV over TSV.

The variable is called "var", not "?var".  So, like the rest of the CSV
format, it's strings.

> 3.2
>
> "Fields do not need to be quoted" ??? I find this a bit confusing,
> fields that include " \r\n or , should be escaped
> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4180#page-2 section 6). Maybe "Fields
> not containing '"', ',', or 'CRLF' to not need to be quoted"?

Good idea - done.

> 4.1
>
> Prefer requiring ? 5store uses $ for historical reasons, but 4store
> uses ?

I prefer choosing one char and ? is more common but I thought I'd at
least point it out.

> 4.2
>
> ", so" typo?

Done - stray working text.

> 4.3
>
> The header line of the example is incorrect by the text, should be
>
> ?x<TAB>?name<TAB>?knows<TAB>?hpage

Fixed

> - Steve

Thanks,

	Andy

> On 2011-06-13, at 14:47, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>
>> The content is now complete.
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/csv-tsv-results/results-csv-tsv.html

To do: