Re: Plain literals and xsd:string

On 20/04/11 17:57, Axel Polleres wrote:
> hmmmmmm, potential effects of RDF decisions on Update or Query at this stage worry me... is there a way we can get around such effects
> easily without just ignoring the movements in the RDF WG?

Rather hard to get round, IMO:

"""
Recommend that systems silently convert xs:string data to plain literals
"""

and a SPARQL engine isa system.  So we need to consider it even if we
find it can be argued for no effect. Ignoring is not really viable.

I haven't looked at "RDF Entailment Regime" and "RDFS Entailment Regime".

xsd:string/simple literal is xsd 1a/1b in "7.4 Datatype Entailment
Rules" of http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/.  Don't think it's mentioned
anywhere else.

Doing it right might be modifying rq25.xml#BGPsparql but I really hope
we don't have to.  I haven't had space to think about it but it does
need checking.  Maybe converting in parsing and/or expression evaluation
is enough.

On the upside, it makes nice, but tricky-in-the-detail, optimization of
filters/patterns with string work.

	Andy