Re: Plain literals and xsd:string

On 2011-04-20, at 09:47, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 19/04/11 23:17, Steve Harris wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The RDF WG intends to recommend that xsd:strings be silently
>> converted to RDF plain literals internally. See Resolution 1 in
>> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/meeting/2011-04-13.
>>
>> This would have some impact on SPARQL deployments, as we go to some
>> lengths in a few places to preserve the differences. I'm not sure it
>> should necessarily affect the wording of any of the SPARQL texts, but
>> it's probably worth bearing in mind. It could be that we can simplify
>> some wording, but we should take care not to become dependent on a
>> new RDF rec. for publication.
>>
>> - Steve
>>

> What should update do?
>
> INSERT DATA { :s :p "foo"^^xsd:string }

The wording of the RDF-WG resolution suggests that systems should silently convert to plain literal internally.

> It affects query.  BGP matching is simple entailment.
> The wording must change there surely?

Perhaps...

> Either that or
>
> SELECT * { ?s ?p "foo"^^xsd:string }
>
> will stop matching on data now converted to "foo" without a software change to the query engine.

Right, true.

I don't have a clear feeling on how we should/could/ought to proceed. Is a decision from another WG enough new information for us to reopen that discussion?

> Existing databases + new software will see a change.
>
> In my experience, it is OWL tools that will be affected as they like to use xsd:string in RDF for ontologies.

I've seen xsd:string in a couple of other places too, but it's fairly uncommon.

Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK
+44 20 8439 8203  http://www.garlik.com/