Re: Plain literals and xsd:string

On 19/04/11 23:17, Steve Harris wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The RDF WG intends to recommend that xsd:strings be silently
> converted to RDF plain literals internally. See Resolution 1 in
> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/meeting/2011-04-13.
>
> This would have some impact on SPARQL deployments, as we go to some
> lengths in a few places to preserve the differences. I'm not sure it
> should necessarily affect the wording of any of the SPARQL texts, but
> it's probably worth bearing in mind. It could be that we can simplify
> some wording, but we should take care not to become dependent on a
> new RDF rec. for publication.
>
> - Steve

What should update do?

INSERT DATA { :s :p "foo"^^xsd:string }

It affects query.  BGP matching is simple entailment.
The wording must change there surely?

Either that or

SELECT * { ?s ?p "foo"^^xsd:string }

will stop matching on data now converted to "foo" without a software
change to the query engine.

Existing databases + new software will see a change.

In my experience, it is OWL tools that will be affected as they like to
use xsd:string in RDF for ontologies.