Re: rq25.xml String functions definitions - first shot (ACTION-350)

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 14:09:27 +0000
To: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
CC: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>, SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On 21/12/10 11:32, Steve Harris wrote:
> Why should encode_for_uri("colour"@en-GB) be a type error?

I'm reasonably neutral on this specific item but I'd like to address in
terms of the overall style.  Adding str() is not much of a burden and
elsewhere the argument has been made that casts and other functions are
needed  (e.g. aggregates over unbounds).

SPARQL 1.0 has regex(<uri>,..) is something that is quite common -
SPARQL requires a STR().

In other functions If the primary argument is a
plain-literal-with-language (PLWL), other functions return a PLWL.

The hash functions should defintiely distinguish simple literals and PLWL.