Re: function library summary and issues

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 18:36:03 +0000
To: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
For the proposal except for CONCAT which we need to sort out .. for the
rest of the proposal:

[[
Suggestion:
1/ Keywords as below.  No dateTime functions.
2/ sparqlfn: URIs for all function (our namespace and URIs)
3/ Definition as XSD F&O except work on simple literals as noted.
4/ Documentation reference XSD F&O for each function.
]]

changes:
A/ drop the overloading of 'string + string' as mandatory
B/ drop fn:error
C/ Not the xsd:dateTime functions.

 >>> 	3. fn:error
 >>> ERROR()
 >>> ERROR(string)
 >
 > Has this been discussed before? I don't recall what this is meant to do.

Not much discussion,if any.  It's not very important - in fact, I think
because we catch errors in FILTER/BIND and XQuery aborts the whole
query, I think we shouldn't worry about adding it.

Is there sufficient support for the xsd:dateTime functions (without
keywords) as mandatory functions?  or should we leave non-keyword
functions to extensions?  I prefer the latter.