Re: what functions should we include in SPARQL 1.1?

On 07/11/10 18:18, Axel Polleres wrote:
> 1) As a *very minor* editorial issue, I think we should follow a uniform capitalisation of function names in the doc, cf.
>
> 16.4.22 STRDT
>
> vs.
>
> 16.4.6 str
>
> or is their a rationale behind different capitalisation here that I overlooked?

Noted.

> 2) another minor comment, there are URIs for
>
>   STRLANG
>
>   -->  http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-plain-literal/#plfn:PlainLiteral-from-string-lang

No. The return type is rdf:PlainLiteral.

The RDF namespace has been contaminated with a type that should not
appear in an RDF document.  We should not worsen the situation.

The lexical form for rdf:PlainLiteral is singularly unhelpful and would
require a change to SPARQL 1.0 to make str() work in anyway that is useful.

It is a shame that the language tag is handled by encoding into the
lexical form, making a double layering and necessitating addition
functions to undo the encoding, rather than defining value spaces for
each language and having a lexical form in that language.

>   LANG
>
>   -->  http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-plain-literal/#plfn:lang-from-PlainLiteral

No. The first arg of that function is an rdf:PlainLiteral. The return is
xs:language, not a simple literal.

xs:language is not in "XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes Second Edition",
only XSD 1.1, which is not yet a REC.

>   which we may want to reuse, or should we uniformly refer to the
>
>      http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql-functions#
>
>   for all functions (also the xs: ones?

Reuse where possible.

regex is fn:matches (modulo the xs:string/simple literal thing).

Other builtins by keyword are all be necessary additions, I think, and
need IRIs.

The operators are different because they are an extension point - an
implementation can add new dispatches for errors.  That's how it's legal
to have xsd:date support.  So you can't define the signature as a
function.  While some symbol operators dispatched straight to XSD
functions ("*", "/", "+", "-"), others go to different functions. e.g.
This is significant for "=" and "!=" which end up at different XSD
functions.

	Andy