Re: what functions should we include in SPARQL 1.1?

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 10:23:47 +0000
To: Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>
Fine tuning.

fn:concat

http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#func-concat

[[
The fn:concat function is specified to allow an two or more arguments
that are concatenated together. This is the only function specified in
this document that allows a variable number of arguments. This
capability is retained for compatibility with [XML Path Language (XPath)
Version 1.0].
]]

As Steve pointed out, fn:concat casts to string (and empty sequences go
to empty string) but also it's the only function in F&O that takes a
variable number of arguments; others take sequences e.g. fn:string-join.

If we wish to be more conservative, we could provide own binary string
concatenation operation (tighter signature, can devolves to fn:concat
for the functionality).