Re: GROUP question

On 2010-10-14, at 11:06, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> Just checking - this going to be legal, isn't it?  It's an idiom that seems natural and people do use it:
>
> SELECT (SAMPLE(?x) AS ?x)
> {
>  ... ?x ...
> } GROUP BY ?groupKey

It's my intention that it's legal, agreed people do want to do that.

> In other words, can I use ?x as a new variable because the inner one is hidden by the group.  It seems a natural thing to write in the SAMPLE case.
>
> From wiki/Potentially_bound it seems the answer is yes.  ?x is not potentially bound when used at the point "AS ?x"
>
> The ?x in SAMPLE(?x) is a different ?x because aggregates happen before select expressions in modifier order.
>
> The ordering is:
> # Grouping
> # Aggregates
> # Select expressions
> # Having
>
> and so
>
> # Aggregates
> ... at this point only GROUP BY vars + aggregates are visible. [1]
> # Select expressions
>
> [1] minor: and so the aggregates are assigned to temporary vars to be renamed in the select expressions?  Can't see how else it would work.

I think it all comes out in the wash around AggregateJoin, but wouldn't swear to that. The agg_i identifiers are doing the same thing, I think.

Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK
+44 20 8439 8203  http://www.garlik.com/