Re: Summary of open issues on query.

On 3 Feb 2010, at 08:42, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> ISSUE-35
> Can aggregate functions take DISTINCT as an argument a la SELECT
> COUNT(DISTINCT ?X)?
>
>  DONE  All built-in aggregates can take the word DISTINCT.
>  Custom ones do not; it's part of their definition,
>  i.e. different URIs for a DISTINCT and non DISTINCT form.

I thought that the custom ones could also take DISTINCT? My
recollection may well be wrong though. Do you have a link to the
strawpoll?

> ISSUE-41
> Does GROUP BY allow variables or expressions, and does it allow
> mutiple expressions?
>  ??
>  (I hope it does - it's just key calculation)

Not quite, there are issues with what expressions can be projected.
But agreed, I think it should be allowed.

We maybe should consider not allowing bare expressions to be projected
from aggregated queries, i.e. requiring SAMPLE(), even when the same
expression is GROUP BY'd.

Steve Harris, Garlik Limited
2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK
+44 20 8973 2465  http://www.garlik.com/