Re: IRI creation and encoding

On 6 Jun 2010, at 17:34, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 04/06/2010 10:49 PM, Axel Polleres wrote:
> > That means that IRI should also  appearing in a column in
> > http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/query-1.1/rq25.xml#FunctionMapping
> > i.e., shouldn't IRI rather be mentioned in the casting/constructor functions in section 15.5?
>
> The section is about XSD casting as the first line of text in the
> section states:
>
> [[
> SPARQL imports a subset of the XPath constructor functions defined in
> XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 Functions and Operators
> ]]
>
> so I didn't immediately put the text there.  None of the term builders
> are F&O operations, although STRDT is related.

It seems to me that all the functions 15.4.18 onwards in Section 15.4 are somewhat "Constructor functions", shouldn't - in this sense - those all be moved to section 15.5.
If not, should we rename section 15.5 to indicate that it covers only casts from F&O?

>  The section is about the
> slightly extended F&O rules.  I'm more tending to changing the section
> title to reflect that.
>
> The table is from F&O sec 17.1, modified.  The occurence of IRI is not a
> function but the type - only xsd:string() applies.

yes, but with the IRI function we have something very close in the other direction, don't we? I mean it "looks like a cast", it "behaves like a cast", doesn't it?

I'd rather have IRI in the table and put an additional remark tht strictly speaking it is not a remark, since it than not having it there.

BTW, so far we have IRI apply to iri and simple literal, should that also cover string typed literals?

best,
Axel