Resolving negation (MINUS / NOT EXISTS)

From: Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:24:43 -0400
To: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
As we discussed on last week's teleconference, I'm eager to come to a
resolution on the question of what sort of negation support to include
in SPARQL 1.1.

To that end, here is what I am planning to resolve the issue:

1) Allow for any further discussion on the mailing list the rest of this
week

2) Barring unanimity or clear ocnsensus from #1, , publish a Web survey
for WG members to vote on a resolution to this issue. (This is
officially ISSUE-29 - http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/track/issues/29)

3) Ask the editors to implement the majority preference of the Working
Group as per #2.

To help facilitate discussion this week, these are the latest
discussions of the issue:

  * Concerns and discussion over the F2F3 decision on negation:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2010AprJun/0003.html

  ** And in particular some specific cases:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2010AprJun/0028.html

  * My summary of six potential options forward:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2010AprJun/0027.html

If this process results in a conclusion that is unsatisfactory for any
WG members, they are (as always), welcome to ask for a subsequent review
of their concerns by registering a formal objection [1], which will be
reviewed when we are ready to advance the Query specification.

thanks,
Lee

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/policies.html#FormalObjection