Re: SD vocab updates: dataset descriptions

Heh:-) I was asking myself exactly the same question:-) That is why I
asked Greg to give an example...

I guess

sd:Service sd:defaultDataset [ ... ] .

(which is the current example) can also say

sd:Service sd:defaultDataset <URI> .

but I realized that does not necessarily sound right. <URI> is clearly
not the URI of the dataset itself, but a description thereof. So the
term's name is not really fine...

Again, I think an example would clarify Greg's thoughts...

Ivan

Alexandre Passant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 21 Nov 2009, at 00:08, Gregory Williams wrote:

[skip]

>> * Added URL variants of the above two terms: sd:defaultDatasetURL and
>> sd:availableDatasetURL. These are meant to allow linking not to the
>> dataset description directly but to a dereferencable document that
>> contains such descriptions. This allows the service description to be
>> kept small while providing access to very large dataset descriptions.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the different between the dataset description
> and a document that contains the description.
> It seems that the second one (the document about the description) is
> what we should get when we dereference the first one (the URI of the
> description) so why do we need a new property / URI here ?
>
> Alex.
>

>> * Added sd:defaultGraph term for linking a sd:Dataset with a
>> description of the default graph in a dataset. For now I'm leaving the
>> rdfs:range of this term open, allowing vocabularies like voiD to do it
>> themselves.
>>

>> I'd like to get some feedback on these changes from the group. In
>> particular,  I'm curious about people's feelings on two issues:
>>
>> (1) should the use of sd:availableDataset imply that the endpoint will
>> only allow use of the named graphs in FROM/FROM NAMED clauses, or
>> could it be used simply to link to locally cached/generated
>> descrptions of commonly used datasets? If the latter, we (or somebody
>> else) could coin a sd:feature IRI to indicate that an endpoint has the
>> ability to dereference graph URLs.
>>
>> (2) How do people feel about the URL variants of the dataset
>> properties? I know several people had indicated that they wanted a way
>> to link to dataset descriptions without including them in the service
>> description and these terms were created to satisfy that need.
>> However, the logistics of actually using the terms feel a bit strange
>> to me (do you just search for any dataset instance in the retrieved
>> RDF similar to how foaf:PersonalProfileDocument is used?) and there
>> are other ways this could be handled (we might assume that if a
>> dataset description isn't in the SD RDF then the dataset IRI is
>> dereferencable and will return the description).
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> thanks,
>> .greg
>>

>> [1] Whiteboard darwing of the dataset description modeling from F2F2:
>> <http://thefigtrees.net/lee/dl/sparql-IMG00009-20091103-1508.jpg>. The
>> the unlabeled blue arc should be "default graph".
>>

> --
> Dr. Alexandre Passant
> Digital Enterprise Research Institute
> National University of Ireland, Galway