Re: SD vocab updates: dataset descriptions

Hi,

On 21 Nov 2009, at 00:08, Gregory Williams wrote:

> I've been updating the service description vocabulary based on the
> discussion at the F2F, and wanted to run the changes by everyone
> (since many of you weren't at the F2F).
>
> The primary change is related to the link between a SPARQL service
> and a dataset description. This is where we're going to be punting a
> bit to other vocabularies such as voiD, and letting them do the
> actual dataset descriptions. However, as I discussed at the F2F[1],
> I thought we needed a way to link a dataset to its default graph
> since the default graph is very SPARQL-specific and not something
> likely to show up in a mroe general dataset description vocabulary.
> Given this, I've changed the SD vocab in the following ways:
>
> * Added a sd:Dataset class. I'm hoping we can work with the voiD
> group to make sure this aligns with their notion of a dataset so
> voiD properties could be attached to a sd:Dataset.
>
> * Replaced sd:datasetDescription with two new terms:
> sd:defaultDataset and sd:availableDataset. sd:defaultDataset links a
> sd:Service with a description of the default dataset used for query
> answering if none is provided by the query or protocol. It may use
> the defaultGraph property described below. sd:availableDataset links
> a sd:Service with a description of a dataset containing named graphs
> that may be used in FROM/FROM NAMED clauses.
>
> * Added URL variants of the above two terms: sd:defaultDatasetURL
> and sd:availableDatasetURL. These are meant to allow linking not to
> the dataset description directly but to a dereferencable document
> that contains such descriptions. This allows the service description
> to be kept small while providing access to very large dataset
> descriptions.

I'm not sure I understand the different between the dataset
description and a document that contains the description.
It seems that the second one (the document about the description) is
what we should get when we dereference the first one (the URI of the
description) so why do we need a new property / URI here ?

Alex.

--
Dr. Alexandre Passant
Digital Enterprise Research Institute