Re: [TF-LIB] COALESCE is an unhelpful choice of name

From: Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 08:30:43 -0500
To: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@talis.com>
CC: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>, "public-rdf-dawg@w3.org Group" <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
Andy Seaborne wrote:
> On 14/11/2009 06:39, Steve Harris wrote:
>> On 14 Nov 2009, at 05:48, Alexandre Passant wrote:
>>> Based on your previous email "COALESCE (or whatever it's called) takes
>>> 1 or more arguments and returns the first of its arguments that is
>>> bound to a value (i.e. first argument that is not unbound and not a
>>> type error)."
>>> So what about FIRST_BOUND or something explicit like that ?
>> "First" is a bit ambiguous. Lexically? (where?), chronologically?
>> I thought about LEFTMOST(), but that's not great either.
>> - Steve
> LEFTMOST is possible.
> A word with a firstness about it would be good.
> I think "first" for "first in list" is clear enough.
> FIRST_SAFE seems accurate albeit long.
> Just SAFE?  More emphasis on it's protecting role than the order.

I agree that there isn't really any confusion about FIRST if combined
with something else descriptive. I like FIRST_BOUND myself. SAFE implies
all sorts of security stuff to me which would confuse me.

FIRST_VALID is ok, but I prefer first_bound.

or i'm also still happy with COALESCE for all the reasons Steve has