Re: Versioning (again, sorry!)

Paul Gearon wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com> wrote:
>  Hi All,
>
>> I know we already discussed the versioning of the recs., and it was quite
>> contentious :) but I mentioned it in the office the other day and I got
>> complaints that the /Update and /Query rec's versions will be out of sync.
>>
>> It was felt that having to say something like "this app requires backends
>> supporting protocol 1.1, query 1.1, and update 1.0" was too confusing to
>> people unfamiliar with SPARQL's history.
>>
>> Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.
>
> It's worth mentioning.
>
> I completely agree. Even if we have to come up with a
> naming/versioning system that doesn't mesh completely with history
> (eg. skipping a version number), it would be far preferable to having
> multiple version numbers associated with a single SPARQL revision. The
> confusion that it's generating already shows that we need to rethink
> this.

Could you explain the confusion some more? I was a proponent of naming
everything "2" in the first place, but I don't really see the complexity
in Steve's example above. It seems reasonable to give a list of
different versions that a particular application needs. Even if all the
components of this round of standardization had the same number, it
seems it would still be likely to have applications that need different
versions. I don't think that the "standardization round" should really
have too much impact on how people think about the individual
components, but I'd like to understand where the potential confusion is.

Lee