Re: Versioning (again, sorry!)

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com> wrote:
 Hi All,

> I know we already discussed the versioning of the recs., and it was quite
> contentious :) but I mentioned it in the office the other day and I got
> complaints that the /Update and /Query rec's versions will be out of sync.
>
> It was felt that having to say something like "this app requires backends
> supporting protocol 1.1, query 1.1, and update 1.0" was too confusing to
> people unfamiliar with SPARQL's history.
>
> Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

It's worth mentioning.

I completely agree. Even if we have to come up with a
naming/versioning system that doesn't mesh completely with history
(eg. skipping a version number), it would be far preferable to having
multiple version numbers associated with a single SPARQL revision. The
confusion that it's generating already shows that we need to rethink
this.

Paul Gearon