Re: service description vocabulary

On Sep 25, 2009, at 12:09 AM, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:

> Ah, so you're suggesting this as a way for an endpoint to tell the
> world what it does in the absence of FROM, FROM NAMED, and protocol
> graph parameters? That makes perfect sense to me.
>
> (I had (mis-)interpreted it as a way to characterize the overall set
> of graphs that the endpoint is capable of including in a query's RDF
> dataset.)

Well, (thinking out loud here,) I'd imagine that the defaultGraph
stuff would only be for systems that provide a default dataset. The
sd:namedGraph properties, though, could provide descriptions of the
graphs that are available for use in a requested dataset. Perhaps that
suggests a slight name change with the properties -- maybe the
sd:namedGraph property should actually be something like
sd:availableGraph (while keeping the subsequent properties for
graphName and graphDescription).

I imagine that URIs might pop up that can be used with the extension
mechanism to describe the specifics of dataset handling (whether
there's no dataset but lots of available graphs, or a default dataset,
or no default but the ability to dereference any URL in a FROM/FROM
NAMED clause). But in general I think there's value in providing
enough in the SD vocab to point at descriptions of graphs (if any)
that the endpoint is expected to commonly use (whether provided as a
default dataset or not).

.greg