Re: DESCRIBE ENDPOINT

From: Kjetil Kjernsmo <Kjetil.Kjernsmo@computas.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 13:12:33 +0200
To: public-rdf-dawg@w3.org
On Tuesday 30 June 2009 22:58:45 Steve Harris wrote:
> > So that could be DESCRIBE <.>
>
> <> Might be more conventional.

I find the idea of DESCRIBE <endpoint-URI> (and the special case DESCRIBE <>
which refers to the endpoint itself in the absence of a different base)
appealing, but I am wondering if we could address the problem of discovering
endpoints on a server too (and I really don't like the "magic URI" option).

I found this in the HTTP 1.1 spec:

"If the Request-URI is an asterisk ("*"), the OPTIONS request is intended to
apply to the server in general rather than to a specific resource."

Perhaps that could be of use?

OPTIONS *

would return a list of endpoint URIs? This could be an optional part of the
spec to not place too much of a burden on implementers that don't need it.

Kind regards

Kjetil Kjernsmo
--
Senior Knowledge Engineer / SPARQL F&R Editor
Mobile: +47 986 48 234

|  SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE  |

Computas AS  PO Box 482, N-1327 Lysaker | Phone:+47 6783 1000 | Fax:+47 6783
1001