Service Descriptions (was: volunteers request for features to be discussed next Telecon)

Am Montag, den 23.03.2009, 18:34 -0400 schrieb Gregory Williams:
> I think service descriptions are very important to the extensibility
> of any SPARQL updates, but see it as being able to be broken into
> several parts, with varying levels of importance (and probably ability
> to get concensus). Here's how I see a potential split (in decreasing
> order of importance):
>
> 1. At the most basic level, I think we should mint URIs for every new
> feature and functions added to SPARQL (and possibly to those present
> in SPARQL2008), allowing sensible things to be said about conformance
> of implementations to the spec(s).
>
> 2. With standard URIs for features and functions, the next step would
> be to standardize a vocabulary for describing SPARQL implementations/
> endpoints. voiD[1] is a good starting point here, but is more
> targetted at datasets, not directly at SPARQL implementations. That
> being said, it can be used to describe things like the SPARQL endpoint
> URL and total number of triples, resources, subjects, and objects. Two
> other sources to draw from are DARQ[2] (with terms for describing
> supported predicates, selectivities, and triple count) and SADDLE[3]
> (closer to this proposal's intention on describing a SPARQL endpoint,
> but not implemented widely). Having such a vocabulary would provide an
> agreed upon format in which to describe the SPARQL conformance of an
> endpoint, as well as any other features that might be important for
> clients to know: extension functions, syntax extensions, supported
> entailment regimes, etc.
>
> 3. With a service description vocabulary, the final step would be to
> define a way to retrieve an actual service description from an
> endpoint. This could be addressed at the SPARQL protocol level (for
> example, adding a new operation or parameter to the HTTP binding
> interface), by introducing new SPARQL syntax or conventions (a new
> query form, or a pre-arranged URI that could be DESCRIBEd), or some
> out-of-band mechanism (referenced in HTTP response headers, for
> example). I'm not sure which of these would be best, but I lean toward
> preferring protocol extensions as it seems like it might be easiest to
> spec, implement, and reach consensus on.

I would favor including the description in a named graph. If we decide
to include
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Feature:Query_response_linking , this
graph could be linked from query responses without the need to predefine
a name for it. In order to retrieve it, any query would do, e.g. a
DESCRIBE of the SPARQL endpoint. The query result would link to the
service description, which could then be retrieved as a whole or queried
for further details without having to retrieve it completely. The latter
may become important, when a lot of extensions are supported.

Best regards,
Simon

--
Simon Schenk | ISWeb | Uni Koblenz-Landau
http://isweb.uni-koblenz.de