Re: [sub-select] Some examples and discussion

From: Ivan Mikhailov <imikhailov@openlinksw.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 03:48:38 +0600
To: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Cc: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
Hello all,

>  I'm curious as to the interplay between:
>  projected expressions
>  sub-selects
>  assignment
>  Is there a combination of these that makes the 3rd irrelevant?

Sub-selects can't be avoided, period. Projected expressions can be
avoided if assignments are allowed --- just LET a fake variable and
return it. Assignments can be avoided if projected expressions are
allowed (but macroexpansion of LET may result a huge amount of text).

I'd recommend to not choose 20 of 3 as soon as all 3 can be implemented.
Developers have enough reasons for headache, an artificial puzzle of
weird limitations of the language will not make them happy.

Best Regards,

Ivan Mikhailov
OpenLink Software