Re: Agenda 2009-06-16

Seaborne, Andy wrote:
>> a) If we can find consensus, I would like to decide on publishing
>> http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/features/ as FPWD.
>> Particularly, if you CAN'T participate tomorrow and want to raise
>> concerns, please send them, if any possible before the Teleconf.
>
> What's the status on these comments I've extract below:
> Key ones are:
>
>   Non-mention of the time-permitting in F&R.[*]

Suggestion:
  cf. http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Features_Introduction_strawman
the sentence

"This current working draft details only the required features."

should be separate after the description (was hidden in the "status"
bullet before, see
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/index.php?title=Features_Introduction_strawman&diff=894&oldid=892)

>   Negation is not syntax

Suggestion: 2 changes

"Hence, a new syntax is desired, as users requested, which the WG agrees
with."
-->
"Hence, dedicated language constructs for expressing negation are
desired, as users requested, which the WG agrees with."

"Yet, this syntax can be difficult to write and learn. Hence, the
Negation feature to be included will provide the support for testing the
absence of a match to a query pattern. "
-->
"Yet, this is not very intuitive to write and learn for users nor does
it cater for efficient implementations of negation. Hence, the Negation
feature to be included will provide the support for testing the absence
of a match to a query pattern."

As for pointing to other implementations/syntaxes in order not to raise
the impression to favor the MINUS syntax, I didn't find UNSAID at [1]
but a pointer at [2] that UNSAID is supported by ARQ-with-extensions. If
it is ok to refer to ARQ, we could just add the UNSAID example as well,
i.e. we could add in the end of section 2.3.3

extension]

  PREFIX foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/>
  SELECT ?x
  WHERE { ?x foaf:givenName ?name
          UNSAID { ?x foaf:knows ?who }
        }

BTW: one more typo fix:

"The following example uses the SeRQL MINUS syntax to find the name of
all people that does not no anyone, in a similar way to the previous query"
-->
"The following example uses SeRQL's MINUS syntax to find the names of
all people that do not know anyone, in a similar way to the previous query"

Axel

1. http://jena.sourceforge.net/ARQ/extension.html

--
Dr. Axel Polleres
Digital Enterprise Research Institute, National University of Ireland,