Re: Requesting input for the Features and Rational document

Alexandre Passant wrote:
> material.
>
> Specifically, we ask you to focus on these holes in the current content:
>
> * ProjectExpression needs a better description and motivation.
> We feel that the mention of XSLT is not very relevant, as assigning a
> name automatically, like some engines do now, is sufficient for XSLT.
> It should also be motivated by showing why it is required by other
> features.

I took a stab at this at
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Feature:ProjectExpressions

> * Aggregates needs a description. As mentioned in today's telecon, it
> must be generic enough to encompass all the things we may do.

I took a stab at this at
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Feature:AggregateFunctions

> * Subqueries is now described as subselects, and the description and
> examples needs to reflect that we may have other query forms in the
> subqueries (e.g ASK in subqueries).

The WG has open issues to determine precisely which types of subqueries
the specification will include. The group does have consensus that
subselects within graph patterns will be one such subquery included. For
the purposes of F&R, I think that we should talk about subqueries in
general.

> * Negation. Is there any engine that support a NOT EXISTS implementation ?

Do you specifically mean using the keywords NOT EXISTS? I don't think we
identified any during
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/meeting/2009-05-19#Feature_overview__3a__Feature__3a_Negation
.

> Finally, there is a section in the document that calls for use cases
> that require more than one of the new features, so that we motivate the
> new features with concrete examples.
> We do not have that for the moment, so if someone can come up with some,
> it would be great !
> Use cases can be recorded at http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/FRUseCases

I also think this would improve the document, but I do not consider it
absolutely essential.

Please do submit use cases (or pointers to existing ones) if you have
any that motivate multiple of the new features.

Lee