Re: SPARQL WG Survey plan - input desired

On 17 Apr 2009, at 15:57, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> On Thursday 16 April 2009 23:08:03 Steve Harris wrote:
>> Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. Well, it depends whether the ranking
>> method, doesn't it? If we use something like Condorcet then there's
>> no
>> problem with people voting for as many as they care to, if I remember
>> correctly.
>
> Yeah, that's my understanding too. Condorcet looks nice to me, as it
> produces
> a ranked list, but then I came across something the other day that
> said the
> method was created for single-winner ballots, so perhaps there is an
> even
> better suited method somewhere that has been explicitly created for
> ranked
> list ballots? If we can't find something quickly, Condorcet sounds
> good to
> me.

According to Wikipedia[1] there are minor variants of Condorcet that
produced ranked lists.

Approval voting would be more like the straw polls we've been doing,
and I find it an easier decision making process. But, I understand
there are situations where the outcome is not representative of the
wishes of the voters. I don't know how common that situation is though.

- Steve

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_method#Condorcet_Ranking_Methods

--
Steve Harris
Garlik Limited, 2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK