Re: REDUCED and the SPARQL XML Results Format

Andy Seaborne wrote on 03/26/2007 07:25:16 AM:
> Steve Harris wrote:
> > Whether the distinct attribute should be set where appropriate is an
> > interesting question. It also applies to SPARQL services that
> > currently implicitly DISTINCT.
>
> I don't see much use for a distinct attribute (I do see more utility for
the
> 'ordered').
>
> There never was anything stated about implicitly DISTINCT - I've always
seen
> it as a local API issue where the local API inserts (or has the effect
of
> inserting) DISTINCT into all queries.  It was the case the test suite
> carefully didn't distinguish - except we let such a test case in
> which is what
> started all this latest stuff into motion.

Richard Newman has recently brought up this same issue on the -comments
list. In preparing an answer for him, I looked at the specific text in
2.3.1 of the Query Results XML Format document:

"""
The distinct attribute indicates that the results are distinct (contain no
duplicates), such as given by a SPARQL query using SELECT DISTINCT.
"""

To me, this suggests that distinct="true" is only a property of the
results, and should be included whenever the results contain no
duplicates, regardless of which--if any--keywords are present in the query
itself. (I'm not thoroughly positive that this statement in the
specification implies the opposite, "If the distinct attribute's value is
false, then the results contain at least one duplicate", but it does seem
that way to me.)

Do any implementations that we know about behave in this way? (Set
distinct="true"/"false" solely based on the presence/absence of duplicates
in the results.)

Lee