Re: REDUCED and the SPARQL XML Results Format

Steve Harris wrote:
>> Subsidiary questions:
>>
>> If there is way to indicate "reduced", and the service
>> implementation of REDUCED is to do "all" for this service request,
>> can the service just omit the reduced because results are all present?
>>
>> If there is way to indicate "reduced", and the service
>> implementation of REDUCED is to do DISTINCT?  Is it permissible to
>> set the 'distinct' attribute true? Woudl we recommended to doing so?
>
> FWIW, my preference is to not explicitly flag REDUCED result sets as
> such.
>
> Whether the distinct attribute should be set where appropriate is an
> interesting question. It also applies to SPARQL services that
> currently implicitly DISTINCT.

I don't see much use for a distinct attribute (I do see more utility for the
'ordered').

There never was anything stated about implicitly DISTINCT - I've always seen
it as a local API issue where the local API inserts (or has the effect of
inserting) DISTINCT into all queries.  It was the case the test suite
carefully didn't distinguish - except we let such a test case in which is what
started all this latest stuff into motion.

With the introduction of REDUCED, and the algebra, this all looks a bit more
suspect.  REDUCED is used when the query is unconcerned about cardinality.
So, by implication only, SELECT without modifier is suggesting complete
cardinality.

Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England