Comment handling and tests (was: Re: Agenda - 27 Mar @ 14:30 UTC)

Hi everyone,

Well, given the Zakim failure and my late arrival at a site with Internet
connectivity, we ended up without a meeting today. I wanted to drop a note
with some of the content I had hoped to discuss today, to better set us up
for the weeks to come.

1/ Comment handling

The period for Last Call comments on the query language spec. extends from
now to April 18. Comments should be sent to the
public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org . In general, we can receive two types of
comments: editorial comments and substantive comments. Editorial comments
should be responded to by the editors, who are free to act on any
suggestions or defend the current text at their editorial discretion.
Substantive comments are, for the most part, comments that would change
implementation code. There are a variety of possible responses to
substantive comments:

  + Some comments may be addressed already by the current spec. In this
case, a pointer to the relevant part of the specification is an
appropriate response.
  + Some comments may make suggestions that are out of scope for the
group's charter, or reflect use cases or requirements that have not been
adopted by the group in our UC&R document. In this case, a response citing
the charter or UC&R is appropriate.
  + Some comments may reflect issues on which the group has already made a
decision or has already postponed the issue. In these cases, if no new
information has been presented that the group has not previously
considered, an appropriate response will cite the relevant decision or
issue.
  + Failing that (either because the issue has not been raised before or
because new information has been presented), the Working Group should
discuss the issue. In general in such cases, let's see if consensus
emerges on this mailing list before falling back to discussion on a
teleconference.

If a substantive comment comes in and can be dispatched of with one of the
first three types of responses, feel free to do so on behalf of the
working group. If you think the issue might require WG attention, feel
free to forward it to this list.

DanC has some comment-tracking scripts that I'm going to use to keep a
handle on what comments have not been adequately handled. To make these
scripts work, when you reply to a commenter with an appropriate suggested
resolution to their comment, please include the marker [OK?] in the
subject line. Also, please ask the commenter to include [CLOSED] in the
subject line if they are satisfied with the working group's response.

2/ Testing

If we had had the meeting today, we would have addressed the current
pending tests that Jeen added to the .../data-r2 Web space. If you take a
look at the mailing list thread referenced in the agenda, you'll see that
Andy was able to pass all of the tests in ARQ, and I passed all of the
tests (except for those which specify results in the .srx format, which I
eyeballed for correctness) in Glitter.

Going forward, we need to do a few things (Jeen, please jump in if I've
got anything wrong or have jumped the gun on anything):

  + more tests to approve - we need to look over existing tests and move
them over into the new .../data-r2 Web space and update the new manifests.
If you take a group of tests and do this, please send a note to this
mailing list so that those of us with implementations can run the tests.
If you run the tests, please report on the results; if you've eyeballed
the tests and think there is a problem, please bring that up. Otherwise,
we'll try to approve any proposed tests at the next teleconference after
they're announced on this list.

  + an updated README - the existing README at
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/tests/README is a bit out of date
(c.f. the issue of some tests using the SPARQL Query Results XML Format;
also issues surrounding SELECT with no keyword and SELECT REDUCED). It
needs to be updated to help implementors properly execute the tests.

  + an udpated overview page - we could use the equivalent of
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/tests/ for the new test area. I'm not
familiar with how the current overview page is generated, so I don't know
what this involves...

That's it for now -- we'll meet next week at our usual time (14:30 UTC on
Tuesday) and place (#dawg). I'll let everyone know if there's an update on
the teleconference-system situation.

Lee

Lee Feigenbaum wrote on 03/25/2007 01:07:06 PM:

> [...]

local
> time 14:30 UTC is.
>
> 0. Convene [1]RDF Data Access WG meeting of Tuesday, 27 March, 2007
> at 14:30:00 UTC
>          + LeeF chairing
>          + teleconference bridge: tel:+1.617.761.6200
> tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152 code:7333
>          + on irc at: irc://irc.w3.org:6665/dawg
>          + Scribe: ericP
>          + Regrets:
>          + roll call
>          + approve 20 Mar minutes [2]
>          + next meeting 3 Apr. @@ recruit scribe -- @@ the Chair might
be
> at risk
>          + agenda comments?
>

> 1. Review ACTION Items
>
> These actions appear DONE:
>
> ACTION: AndyS to incorporate and explain the notion of active graph in
> section 8 and/or wherever else appropriate
> ACTION: Eric to incorporate text for REDUCED into rq25, including text
> noting that REDUCED does not play nicely with counting
> ACTION: ericP schedule teleconf for Friday
>
> Let's check on the status of the following actions:
>
> ACTION: EricP to run the yacker tool over and annotate the existing
tests
> [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/03/06-dawg-minutes.html#action03]
> ACTION: LeeF or EliasT to reply to Bjoern regarding (not) POSTing
> application/sparql-query documents [recorded in
> http://www.w3.org/2007/03/06-dawg-minutes.html#action07]
> ACTION: LeeF to remember that the wee, lost filter tests should be put
> [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/03/06-dawg-minutes.html#action05]
>

> 2. Last Call comment handling
>

> 3. Test suite
>
> Our attention now needs to turn to the test suite (and to responding to
> the community's comments on the draft, of course). Let's return to the
> latest set of tests that appear ready to be approved into the new test
> suite:
>
> Jeen moved some query evaluation tests to the new testing environment...
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2007JanMar/0080.html
>
> ...and Andy corrected a typo and reports that ARQ passes the tests.
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2007JanMar/0081.html
>
> Please try to take a look at these tests in advance so that we can
approve
> them.
>
> Eric proposed a syntax test similar to what we approved a few weeks ago
> note that OPTIONAL clauses break up BGPs. He also suggested similar
tests
> for the GRAPH keyword.
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2007JanMar/0079.html
>
> Let's discuss and approve these tests.
>

> 4. Towards CR
>
> @@
>

> [1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/
> [2] draft minutes are at http://www.w3.org/2007/03/20-dawg-minutes; I'd
> rather have final minutes to approve, especially as they contain our
Last