Re: definition of INDISTINCT

From: Jeen Broekstra <j.broekstra@tue.nl>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:36:51 +0100
To: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>
CC: public-rdf-dawg@w3.org

Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:

>>> For example, the query
>>>
>>>   PREFIX foaf:    <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/>
>>>   SELECT INDISTINCT ?name WHERE { ?x foaf:name ?name }
>>>
>>> may have one, two (shown here) or three solutions:
>>>   name
>>>   "Alice"
>>>   "Alice"
>> Of course, this only holds for a dataset which holds at least three
>> solutions for Alice, you might want to make that more explicit in this
>> paragraph (referring back to the example dataset explicitly?).
>
> I think that in context with the DISTINCT proposal, it's clear. See
> the attached HTML and tell me if you agree.

Well... Not to be a pain about this, but I still think making a clearer
reference is better. If I start reading the document at section 9.4 (by
clicking the link to "9.4 LOOSE" in the ToC) I will not have seen the
previous section and the example dataset.

Andy's suggestion to do some (sub)section rearrangement might also help
here.

Cheers,

Jeen
--
Dr. Jeen Broekstra                                          Den Dolech 2
Information Systems Group                                        HG 7.76