query by reference

From: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:43:42 -0500

Folks,

Leigh Dodds raised a couple of good issues against our protocol
design, one of which actually convinced me: we lost the ability to do
query by reference at some point, and I don't know if that was
explicitly desired or not. I'm pretty sure we don't have a WG
decision directly on point.

I'd like to propose adding that back to the protocol design.
Basically we're talking about adding another parameter (in HTTP),
"query-uri", the value of which would be a URI which, when
dereferenced, would return a representation of a SPARQL query
resource. That would add a third way to "convey a query" to a SPARQL
query service:

a. POSTing a urlencoded query in the body of an HTTP request
b. serializing a query in a URI (in the 'query' parameter)
c. 'pointing' at a query on the Web and asking the service to deref
and execute it

I don't believe this opens any additional security or implementation
burdens since:

- we already allow arbitrary URIs to be deref'd to load data

- whatever sanity checks one would implement (or specify) re:
executing an arbitrary SPARQL query conveyed via (a) or (b) also
apply to (c), and I don't believe (c) adds any additional constraints
or holes (but I'm *not* a security expert)...

I think I could make a pretty good Use Case argument for this
feature, FWIW.

Leigh's comments and our subsequent conversation:

http://www.w3.org/mid/4367C67C.6000904@ldodds.com

(There should probably be some restriction on the presence of query
and query-uri parameters, of course. Only one or the other can be
present in an In Message, not both.)

Cheers,
Kendall