Re: Andy's review of the the protocol doc (part I)

Kendall Clark wrote back very quickly:
> On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 03:36:23PM +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
. . .

>>==== 3. query Fault Messages
>>
>>NB "3" - should be "4"
>>
>>It talks about 2 faults then lists 3.
>

> Really? I only see two faults: MalformedQuery, QueryRequestRefused.

Thelist (v1.56) is

     <xs:element name="malformed-query"></xs:element>
     <xs:element name="query-request-refused"></xs:element>
     <xs:element name="fault-details" type="xs:string"></xs:element>

which is 3 one of which is called "fault-details"

I think the list should be:

<fault name="MalformedQuery" element="st:faultDetails"/>
<fault name="QueryRequestRefused" element="st:faultDetails"/>

>>"malformed-query" and "query-request-refused" in the XML in the doc but
>>"MalformedQuery" and "QueryRequestRefused" in the XSD and elsewhere.
>

> I have to clear this up; I think I did it because of different naming
> conventions, but it's probably a bug. Will fix.
>

>>Some blank lines in the XSD file would be nice.
>>
>>----
>>
>>"""
>>MalformedQuery
>>
>>This fault message must be returned when the SPARQL query string is not a
>>legal sequence of characters in the language defined by the SPARQL grammar.
>>(Other cases?)
>>"""
>>that could be argued to apply if you had a blank node fake URI <_:abcd> :-)
>

> Hmmm, not sure I understand yr point.

Just that <_:abcd> is illegal as an IRI.  This MalformedQuery does not allow
much wiggle room for (non-standard) language extensions using the protocol.  A
SPARQL Protocol service MUST bounce illegal queries so can't use the protocol
with non-absolutely-correct-SPARQL queries which is what I though UMD wanted.

"legal sequence of characters" can be read as "legal by the grammar" or "legal
by the grammar and any other rules that apply".

>>==== B. HTTP Bindings
>>"examples exemplify invocation"
>>examples usually do exemplify!
>

> Except when they don't. :>